Saturday, April 10, 2010

Classic Collections: Henk I. Gosses' Home Movie

Even before he passed away, Henk I. Gosses was a legend in his own time. He was a man whose love of robots drove him to amass one of the best collections ever; he was also an artist, one who could -- and did -- build pretty much anything that popped into his head, from toys to advanced, animatronic sculptures. He was known for his wily and mischievous sense of humor, but also his kindness towards newbies just getting into the hobby. Henk's passing left a hole in the community that can't easily be filled.







A few years before he died, Henk had given a home movie to Joe Knedlhans, curator of the Toy Robot Museum in Adamstown, PA. It features a virtual walk through Henk's toy collection, which included both the ultra rare -- such as the Diamond Planet and Jupiter Robots -- and some of the more common playthings. The tape also included footage, narrated by Henk, showing off his various artistic and commercial projects. It ends with a bizarre bit of one-man theater. (Remember Henk's sense of humor...?)

When Henk died, Joe felt that the film would make a fitting tribute to his friend, and he decided to give away copies at that year's Botstock (a convention for toy robot collectors). He asked me to transfer the footage from VHS to DVD, and maybe do what I could to clean it up a bit. I did my best (darn VHS quality footage!) and added a little music and some subtitles to help cover various audio issues. I also cut together an opening title sequence, something to give the film a more solid beginning.

Now, with Joe's permission, I've uploaded the footage -- in three parts -- to YouTube for other collectors to enjoy. Parts 1 and 2 contain the tour, while Part 3 features Henk's art. I apologize for the quality of the footage -- like I said, it was shot years ago on VHS. Nonetheless, I think it's a great peek into a small part of Henk's life, one that hopefully conveys even a little bit of what made him so important to so many people.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting these films of my deceased friend Henk Gosses and father of our daughter Emma Gosses! We are very grateful to find this on Youtube. Ankie and Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're VERY welcome! I never had the pleasure of meeting Henk face-to-face, but I did get to exchange emails with him for a while. He was always friendly and generous with his time and knowledge, and very, very funny. I was relatively new to the hobby, and he went out of his way to make me feel welcome. I didn't know him as well as I'd have liked to, but I appreciate getting to know him as well as I did. All the very best to yourself and his daughter. I'm glad you were able to get a look at these, and I hope they made you smile.

    ReplyDelete

Doc Atomic wants to hear from you!