Friday, July 24, 2009

Ratchet Robot (Nomura / 1956 / Japan / 7.5 inches)

There's something very functional about Ratchet Robot. He's got that tool clutched in his right hand, and that's certainly the sign of a can-do kind of guy. But the primitive, boxy design and industrial colors declare this a robot ready to work. A robot that knows the ins and outs of a rocket ship and knows how to take us to the stars. A robot that can keep the machines of humanity humming as we blast forth into the future!




But at the same time, there's something about the expression on his face... it's blank but still somehow conveys so much personality. Maybe it's the big round eyes or something, but I always feel like when I look at this robot, he's looking right back and wondering what makes me tick. 




The Ratchet Robot is a fairly straight-forward toy. Wind him up and he walks while sparks flash in his chest and behind his eyes. He's actually related to a longer line of battery-operated robots created by Nomura called Zoomer and Radar. While those toys come in a dizzying variety of colors, there was only one Ratchet Robot: blue.




I always knew I'd own this toy. It's relatively inexpensive and pretty common in good condition. Consequently, Ratchet's a great gateway drug toy for up-and-coming collectors.

2 comments:

  1. I have one of these robots in very good condition.Could you please give me an approximate value?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I prefer not to discuss prices of these toys on the blog. If you'd like to email me, I'd be happy to help you out. My email address can be found by clicking on the "Email Doc Atomic" link near the top right of the blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Doc Atomic wants to hear from you!