Monday, July 13, 2009

Summertime Blues and New Equipment

As mentioned in my last post, I've been out of the loop for a few days; sorry about the lack of posts. I know how twitchy people can get when they go through toy withdrawal! But that's summertime for you -- I plan on being away for a number of weekends in the ensuing months, so while I'll do my best to shore up the posts before I leave, be prepared, and try to be strong. Think of the puppies and children.

In other news, the Attic has upgraded its resources. Previously, photos were shot using a Canon D7 point-and-shoot digital camera. I say "point-and-shoot," but the truth is, the D7 is a lovely little device that takes superb photographs. However, I've recently stumbled into ownership of a Nikon D60 digital SLR, a camera that's leaps and bounds ahead of the D7 in terms of picture quality and image control. By SLR standards, it's strictly entry level, but since I'm an entry-level photographer, this isn't really a problem. 

The Hook Robot, posted earlier today, was photographed using the Nikon. Obviously, I'm still learning to use it; for instance, it's capable of a much narrower depth of field. So narrow, in fact, that it's easy to take the macro affect too far and screw up the picture. There are also some color and exposure issues I've yet to work out. Let's just say that I'm glad these cameras don't use film, because I'd probably be burning through it at an alarming, and expensive, rate.

But I'm learning -- through experience -- and hopefully the photo quality will soon match my ambitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doc Atomic wants to hear from you!